On Wednesday 21 July, meetings were held between the HFNL Executive and all member club presidents to discuss fixture implications of the current COVID-19 lockdown for both Saturday and Sunday competitions. Whilst there are many unknowns that remain with the current COVID-19 challenges, the HFNL Executive, with support of all member clubs acknowledge the importance of providing the entire HFNL community with as much clarity as possible regarding the remainder of the season.
The HFNL are now in a position to announce the following:
- When all HFNL Saturday competitions resume, Round 11 Fixtures will be played. Followed by Round 12, and so on until finals commence. The number of remaining home and away fixtures/rounds is dependent on what date HFNL Saturday competitions resume.
- Finals dates will remain scheduled as follows:
- Qualifying/Elimination Finals – 28 & 29 August 2021
- Semi Finals – 4 & 5 September 2021
- Preliminary Final – 11 September 2021
- Grand Final – 18 September 2021
- Given the uncertainty of the restrictions that will be in place when community sport can resume, the HFNL will confirm or postpone the resumption of any HFNL matches based on return to play conditions set out by Government and/or AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria. Eg. Should no spectators be permitted and/or if Junior (ages 18 & Under) sport be permitted prior to Senior sport.
- When HFNL Sunday competitions can resume, Round 12 fixtures will be played, followed by Round 13 (if applicable) until finals commence. The number of remaining home and away fixtures/rounds is dependent on what date HFNL Sunday competitions resume. Note that there may be a scenario that no further home and away fixtures are played if Junior sport is not permitted prior to 15 August 2021.
- The finals format and dates will be amended to the below. The top 4 placed sides at the conclusion of the home and away season will play finals.
15 August 2021 | Semi Final 1 – 1st vs 4th | Semi Final 2 – 2nd vs 3rd
22 August 2021 | Grand Final – Winner of Semi Final 1 vs Winner of Semi Final 2
The HFNL acknowledge the importance of participation in junior sport, and as such believes this revised format gives the opportunity for participation in any remaining home and away fixtures (dependent on COVID-19 restrictions), whilst maintaining some reward through finals for teams that have performed well throughout the duration of the interrupted season.
The above scenario planning is dependent and subject to future government announcements and advice/guidelines from AFL Victoria and Netball Victoria. The HFNL would like to thank all member clubs for their collaboration and commitment in working through this process.
Attached to this release are fixtures for the HFNL Saturday and Sunday competitions. No dates have been associated with any home and away fixtures as this is unknown at this point of time.
We hope that all members of the HFNL Community remain safe, and look forward to seeing Football and Netball resume soon when it is safe to do so.
Updated fixtures can be found below.